VEGAN CHOCOLATE HOT CROSS BUN WITH ICE CREAM
We have created some delicious vegan alternative hot cross buns with ice cream! This is the ultimate Easter treat to make for the family.
These easy-to-make Buns (watch the video recipe above) are so much tastier than supermarket hot cross buns which are full of sugar and far less fresh.
VEGAN CHOCOLATE HOT CROSS BUN ICE CREAM SANDWICHES
255g plain flour
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
80g Ecuador 70% Organic Dark Chocolate, finely chopped
4 tbsp vegan butter, melted – or you can use coconut oil
150ml plant-based milk of choice, warmed
7g sachet of yeast
3 tbsp coconut sugar – or you can use brown sugar
Vegan ice cream to serve
For the crosses:
Use more melted chocolate to create the crosses
- Heat the milk until it’s slightly warm, but not too hot or it will kill the yeast. Pour into a bowl and mix in the sugar and yeast. Leave to the side for 10 minutes to allow the yeast to grow.
- In a larger bowl, mix together the flour, spices, salt and chopped chocolate.
- Fold in the yeast mixture and melted butter/coconut oil. Mix until a dough forms and then kneed for a couple of minutes. Add more milk if needed.
- Cover with cling film and a towel. Leave in a warm place for 1-2 hours to rise.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, divide into 6 balls and arrange in a lightly oiled tin/baking dish. I used a loaf tin. Cover and leave to rise again for 20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 190*C (170*C fan assisted) and bake for 25-30 minutes. Leave to cool completely before creating the crosses.
- Use melted chocolate and a piping bag (or a spoon) to create the crosses.
- To serve – Halve a hot cross bun and place a scoop of your favourite ice cream (I recommend chocolate!) on the bottom half then sandwich with the top half.