Vegan Oreos, Love Cocoa style!
Oh Oreos, they'll always have a place close to our heart. B U T, what if we could make a version that was just as good, an unprocessed & heartwarmingly-homemade-handsome version...?
Here in the Love Cocoa test kitchen, we pitted the original Oreo against this new, V E G A N, palm-oil free version, and the verdict? It's rich, tastes decadent, not quite like the original in taste, but maybe...better? Here's how to make it:
128g plain flour
128g unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
280g unsalted VEGAN butter, at room temperature
150g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
for the filling:
- 115g unsalted VEGAN butter, at room temperature
- 200g icing sugar
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 165ºC. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, & baking soda.
- Cream together the butter & sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the vanilla extract. With the mixer running on low speed, add the flour mixture & beat until just combined.
- Pour the mixture onto a work surface & knead to bring it together. Shape into flat discs, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Lightly dust your surface & top of the dough with cocoa powder. Roll out the dough to 1/2 inch thickness & cut out 2 1/2 inch rounds.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Cool on the pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool.
To make the filling:
- Beat together the butter, sugar, and salt until combined.
- To colour the frostings we used 4 natural superfood powders: Spirulina (blue), chlorella (green), turmeric/ coconut (yellow) & blueberry (purple)
- Fill piping bags with each of the 3 frostings. Place half of the cookies on a plate or work surface. Pipe a blob of filling onto the tops of each of these cookies & then place another cookie on top, pressing slightly.
And hey presto! The most delightful, handmade Oreos, entirely vegan & beautifully coloured to bring some brightness to your spring. For an extra bit of Love Cocoa goodness, melt a Love Cocoa bar of your choice and drizzle on top. Mmmmmm.