Love Cocoa Easy Macaroons
The macaroon - the cutesy cousin of the meringue, typically presented in an array of fetching colours in French patisseries and pretty parts of town, is not the type of dessert the amateur typically chooses to bake on a lazy Sunday afternoon. But, little did you know, baking a little dainty macaroon is not as hard as it looks - yes, it might not be perfectly round or flat, but we promise you macaroons of ALL shapes and sizes impress and you'd be surprised how quick they are to make AND how scrumptious.
- 100g icing sugar
- 100g ground almonds
- 2 medium free-range egg whites
- Small pinch salt
- 55g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 300 F/140 C.
- Sieve the icing sugar & ground almonds into a large mixing bowl. Throw any lumps left behind away. Mix the two together.
- In a separate, clean bowl whisk the egg whites & salt until they form soft peaks. Add the caster sugar, a little at a time and continue to whisk until the whites are very thick & glossy (ideally, you should be able to hold the bowl upside down without the whites falling out).
- Gently stir in the icing sugar & almond mix. The mixture will lose some air and become quite loose, but this is how it's meant to be!
- Using a piping bag with any size circular nozzle, fill with the macaroon mixture.
- Pipe small blobs onto a baking sheet - if you'd like to be precise, draw circles on the sheet and fill.
- Gently tap the baking sheet a few times on the work surface to help the macaroon mixture to settle & to break any air bubbles, then leave to dry for 20 minutes - the surface of the macaroon will become smooth and shiny.
- Bake the macaroons in the preheated for 7 to 8 minutes open the door to release any steam, close the oven door and cook for a further 7 to 8 minutes. The macaroons are cooked when they feel firm & are slightly risen.
- Slide the mat or greaseproof paper onto a wire cooling rack & leave to cool thoroughly. Do not be tempted to remove the macarons from the mat until they are cold or you will break them.
Et voila! We filled with whipped cream, mixed with some delicious praline spread & decorated with some Love Cocoa white chocolate prints. You can fill with Nutella, a simple buttercream icing or perhaps drizzle with some melted down Love Cocoa chocolate. They're just perfect for any dinner party or special occasion, get baking!