This is a great, fun activity in your family kitchen for this summer - or any season for all ice cream and chocolate lovers! We use bananas and a small amount of milk for the 'nice cream' to keep it fresh and healthy, so you can enjoy this delicious summery treat as much as you want.
It's very easy to make dairy-free and vegan by using plant-based milk and our vegan-friendly dark chocolate bars. We love to use our Maldon Sea Salt 70% Dark Chocolate bar to add a little kick - or even Gin & Tonic 71% Dark Chocolate Bar to make something a little unusual!
Black Forest Nicecream + Chocolate Cups
For the chocolate cups:
4 small water balloons*
70% organic Love Cocoa dark chocolate
A but of oil to grease the balloons
For the black forest nice cream:
4 ripe frozen bananas
A splash of milk (use plant-based milk to make it vegan!)
10 cherries, chopped
40g 70% organic Love Cocoa dark chocolate, chopped
To make the chocolate cups:
- Melt the chocolate in a small bowl - you need enough chocolate to dip the top of the balloons in to create a small chocolate cup.
- Make sure you allow the chocolate to cool down completely before dipping in the balloons.**
- Grease the top of the balloons (the part that will go in the chocolate) with a bit of oil.***
- Create four chocolate circles on a piece of baking paper. This will make the base of the chocolate cups. Make sure the circles are spread out to allow enough space between the balloons.
- Dip the balloons in the cooled chocolate and place on one of the chocolate circles on the baking paper.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours while you make the banana ice cream.
- To make the nice cream: Add the frozen bananas along with a splash of milk to your blender/food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer into cake or loaf tin and fold in the cherries and chopped chocolate.
- Freeze for 1-2 hours.
- Take the chocolate cups out of the fridge and make a cut at the knot to allow the balloons to deflate slowly. This will also help the balloons come away from the chocolate more easily.
- Scoop the nice cream into the chocolate cups and top with more chopped/shredded Love Cocoa chocolate and fresh cherries.
*We tried using ‘normal’ balloons but they were too big and they stuck to the chocolate. Water balloons are the right size and seem to have a texture and thickness that works perfectly for this recipe! Use leftover from summer activities or get a biodegradable pack.
**Even if the chocolate is slightly warm, the balloons might pop and you’ll end up with chocolate all over your kitchen!
***If you skip this part the balloons may stick to the chocolate and you won’t be able to peel it off.