CHOCOLATE CRUMPETS WITH SALTED CARAMEL SPREAD
Delicious gluten-free, vegan chocolate crumpets.
We used our award-winning Sea Salt Dark Organic Chocolate - the Sea Salt proved to be the perfect way to add a hint of saltiness to compliment the salted caramel spread.
Recipe at the bottom of the page.
CHOCOLATE CRUMPETS VEGAN & GLUTEN-FREE WITH SALTED CARAMEL SPREAD
Chocolate Salted Caramel Crumpets:
- 100g Gluten-free Bread Flour*
- 5 tsp cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp fast action dried yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar (don’t use a sugar-free alternative as the yeast needs it to help the batter rise)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 250ml milk of choice, warmed
- 30g Love Cocoa sea salt dark chocolate
- In a bowl, sift in the flour, cocoa, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt.
- Add in the sugar and yeast. Mix to combine.
- Pour in the oil and start adding in the warm milk slowly while mixing. Make sure there are no lumps of flour in the batter.
- Cover with cling film and a towel. Leave to rise overnight in a warm place.
- Heat a little bit of oil in a frying pan over a low/medium heat and lightly oil crumpet rings.
- Place the crumpet rings in the pan and add about 2 tbsp of the batter into each of the rings. Cook for 10 minutes, flip and continue cooking for another 1 minute. Transfer onto a cooling rack.
For the salted caramel spread:
- 140g soft dates
- 4 tbsp almond butter (you can also use cashew butter)
- 50g Love Cocoa sea salt dark chocolate
- 65ml milk of choice
Blend all the ingredients together until smooth.
*If you don’t have a problem with gluten, you can substitute the gluten-free flour with plain flour and leave out the xanthan gum.